Friday, April 25, 2008

My Greatest Treasure

First of all this: sorry about the lack of posting (again). Just when I make good intentions (like posting regularly, ha!), I become ill. And when I’m finally on the mend (but not really), there’s the family stress. I hope I’m back on track now, feeling better and some problems solved….



But I digress. Today’s post (a quite long one) will be, as the title said, about my greatest treasure:


Can you guess what it is? (Okay, granted, the picture is not that mysterious. It’s my teddy bear. Meet Bram:

He’s been with me ever since I was born (over 23 years ago ;) ). Once upon a time he had a very soft fur, but it has become felted and slightly scratchy from all the hugging.


He was always with me when I was a kid: we watched TV together, the obligatory tea parties and he always slept in my bed. I wouldn’t take him with me when we went on holidays or when we visited friends whom I didn’t really know because I was frightened of forgetting him somewhere and losing him forever. So each time we went out, (I actually even did that before we went shopping) I would carry him to my room, fluff the pillow on my bed, put him on it, cover him with my blanket and kiss him goodnight.


The toughest time was when I just moved out of my parent’s place. I moved to a completely different city, to a house that needed a lot of work (but I really love living here ;) Ghent is the greatest place on earth, if you ask me ) and I (deliberately) left Bram at home. I missed him terribly, but didn’t want him to be in the dusty and dirty environment that my house was at that time, in the midst of the renovations.


When I finally did bring him with me (after some months), it was sort of the official sign that I considered my place in Ghent as ‘home’ and not anymore the house where I grew up in and lived for 19 years.


Bram doesn’t sleep in my bed anymore now. Not because I think I’m too old for him (I’ll never be, he’s a part of me), but because I got a new bed and he kept falling out at night. So I got him his own little bed ;) (yes, I’m that silly).


So now you know all about my greatest treasure (and some about me). Hope you enjoyed reading ;)

No comments: